The Australia China Alumni Association (ACAA) is excited to continue its Mentor Program in 2017.
ACAA Mentor Program is a unique opportunity that enables you to gain knowledge, skills, professional & personal development through the sharing of information and experience with a senior industry professional. Our aim is to better support young Australian alumni in China, throughout their various stages of career development, and to build a stronger Australia China community.
- Be an Australian university alumni and currently living in Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macao (at any stage of your career ie. new graduates to experienced professionals).
- Be a current Paid Premium Member of ACAA; Click HERE to upgrade as an ACAA Premium Member.
- Unique opportunity to gain knowledge, skills, professional & personal development through sharing information and experience with a senior industry professional.
- Overcome career obstacles through your mentor’s guidance.
- Opportunity to network with mentors and other mentees.
- Deeper involvement within the Australia-China community.
Available to connect with your Mentor for a min of 1 hour per month during a 3-month period
Mentees will be responsible for making appointments with their assigned mentor
The mentor and mentee may determine if their meetings are face-to-face. This program can also be effectively handled over ACAA WeChat Platform, Skype or a telephone call.
Both mentor and mentee will need to update the ACAA of the assignment, once it has been completed or if it has not proceeded (due to change of Mentee circumstances)
- Mentees can apply for a mentor via the ACAA’s website or the ACAA’s WeChat Advanced Platform. Mentees can send requests to several mentors but are not able to apply to an additional mentor once their application is accepted by one of the requested mentors. One round of the ACAA Mentor Program is 3 months and a mentee can apply for another mentor when a round is completed.
- For mentors who generate a high level of interest from the mentees, the mentor has the right to select their mentee based on the mentee’s application. The ACAA suggests that mentors accept no more than 2 mentees per round of mentorship. Mentees will be responsible for making and keeping appointments with their assigned mentor.
- It’s important that the mentor/mentee is not from within either’s close circle of contacts (i.e. not from an employee/employer relationship, personal friends or having close mutual friends).
- Building trusting relationships is essential groundwork for mentoring and defines the success of such a mentorship program. Early on in the relationship, there should be a getting-to-know-you session where both the mentor and mentee share their educational and work experience and background. It is also essential to identify the mentees’ professional needs or goals. Reliability, consistency, patience, feedback, confidentiality, listening and constructive feedback are all-important factors that can lead to the development of trust.
- All discussions (names / events / ideas) must remain only between the two parties unless agreed by the other party.
- Both mentor and mentee need to keep the ACAA up-to-date with the progress of the assignment, once it has been completed or if it has not proceeded (e.g. due to a change in mentees’ circumstances). The ACAA mentees will expect to work with a mentor who will commit to the minimum contact hours and who will be willing to share valuable expertise and career guidance.
- There should be no expectation that any internships or employment opportunities will result from the relationship, however, this program will provide mentors with the opportunity to identify potential new talent.
Submit an Application:
If you are interested in becoming a mentee, please click Mentee Application Form to download the application form and submit it via the Find a Mentor or ACAA Advanced WeChat Platform. We suggest providing a CV as this will provide your requested mentor with valuable information to assess your suitability.
*The ACAA Mentor Program aims to provide career guidance opportunities only, with no guarantee of specific job outcomes. Please continue to refer to the ACAA Job List for current job opportunities.*
Thank you for your participation to the ACAA 2017 Mentor Program!
*If you have any enquiries, please send an email to email@example.com or leave a message in our Wechat Platform, we will get back to within 24 hours. *